Get Ready for Your Trip!
the upper salt river canyon multi-day
departure & return times
Please share with everyone in your group. If you have any questions or need additional information call us at 1.800.462.7238.
where to meet
Your trip will meet in the Salt River Canyon at the junction of Highway 60 and the river between Highway Mile Markers 292 and 293.
From Phoenix, go to Globe on Hwy 60 East. Go all the way through Globe and on the east side of town there is a left hand turn at a stoplight going toward Show Low. Highway 60 turns here! (If you miss the turn, you will be on Hwy 70 going toward Safford!)
From Tucson, get on Hwy 77 North. As you enter Globe on the east side of town there is a right turn onto Hwy 60 going toward Show Low.
Once you turn at the stoplight in Globe on Highway 60, it is 45 minutes to the river. At the river bridge, go across the bridge to the north side of the river and immediately turn left onto the dirt road (watch for our sign). Head downstream about 100 yards on the dirt road and look for the Wilderness Aware trailers and vehicles in the parking area on your right. The parking area is just downstream of the bridge, so don’t go too far or you’ll miss us!
what to bring
What to Bring – Day
- Swimming Suit and/or Shorts
- Tennis Shoes or Secure Sandals (no flip-flops or Crocs)
- Sunglasses with Securing Strap
- Waterproof Sunscreen
- Hat or Visor (can be worn under your helmet)
- Fleece Jacket or Synthetic Insulating Layer
- Waterproof Camera (available for sale)
- Cash For Souvenirs and Tipping Your Guide
- Water bottle
- Do Not Wear Cotton on the River (no jeans or sweats)
What to Bring – Camp
- Warm Sleeping Bag / Ground Pad & Liner (available to rent)
- Tent (available to rent)
- Warm Jacket
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Dry Shoes for Camp
- Change of Clothes and Small Towel
- Headlamp or Flashlight
- Plastic Bag for Wet Clothes
- Insect Repellent
- Favorite Beverage (Beer or Soda)
- Favorite Book or Toy
- Wetsuit Booties
- Splash Jacket
- Meals from Lunch on the First Day Through Lunch on the Last Day
- Lemonade and Water with Meals and Hot Drinks in Camp
- Personal Waterproof Storage Bags – 3.2 cu. ft.
- All Kitchen & Group Camping Equipment
- Transportation Back to Your Car at the End of the Trip
- Professional Guides
- Rafting and Safety Equipment
- Portable Chemical Toilets
All cool weather items (wetsuits, wetsuit booties and splash jackets) are included in the cost of Salt River trips
Sleeps 2 people w/gear
Sleeping Bag with Ground Pad & Liner
Ground Pad Only
other important information
- River Maps
- Lodging Information
- Reservation/Cancellation Policies
- Liability Releases
- Q & A: Common Trip Questions
Check out the section of river you will be rafting – complete with put-in’s, takeouts, rapids and other interesting features.
- For Additional Lodging and Activity Information, contact the Globe, Arizona Chamber of Commerce at (928) 425-4495.
- Bookings made more than 14 days in advance require a 50% deposit to confirm. 14 days prior to your trip, the balance will be automatically charged to the credit card provided. Bookings made within 14 days of the departure date require payment in full.
- Cancellation Policy (NON-discounted reservations): If your group or any person in your group cancels more than 14 days before the trip’s check-in time, a full refund will be provided. If cancellations are made within 14 days, no refund will be provided for any reason.
- Cancellation Policy (DISCOUNTED reservations): If your reservation has a discount applied and you wish to cancel, you will not receive a refund. You may reschedule or receive a trip credit (digital gift card code).
- Cancellation Insurance: Cancellation Insurance is available for 7.5% of the trip cost. Insurance purchased for individuals is non-transferable. If purchased, a refund would be provided minus an additional 7.5% cancellation fee up to 72 hours prior to check-in time. Anything cancelled less than 72 hours, but at least 24 hours in advance would receive a non-refundable gift certificate valid for one calendar year from the date of cancellation. Cancellations made within 24 hours are not eligible for a refund for any reason. Guests who opt out of Cancellation Insurance are subject to the 14-day Cancellation Policy.
No exceptions will be made. This includes, but is not limited to road construction, undesirable weather, poor road conditions, COVID or other illnesses.
- Late Arrival Policy: It is your responsibility arrive for your trip on time – typically 30-60 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time. We will not wait for late arrivals. Please take into account travel time, weather, road construction, etc.
- Water Policy: Wilderness Aware reserves the right to move your group to a more appropriate section of river due to extreme high or low water conditions. We will give you as much notice as possible of conditions that may affect your scheduled trip. Note that if an alternate section of river is available to your group no refunds or credits are given.
- Weather Policy: Wilderness Aware trips run rain or shine. We will not cancel or cut short trips due to rain and/or thunderstorm conditions (including lighting).
- Drugs and Alcohol: Drugs or alcohol are not to be consumed before or during the trip. This includes recreational marijuana. No refund will be given to those drinking alcohol or using drugs prior to the trip.
- Pregnancy: We do allow guests that are pregnant to participate in rafting.
Each person rafting will be required to sign a liability release form prior to trip departure. Each youth under the age of 18 years old will need a parent or guardian to co-sign their liability. Please click here to download and print our release.
Will I receive a safety orientation prior to my trip?
Prior to boarding your raft, you will receive a complete safety orientation.
Is it appropriate to tip my guide?
Tipping is appropriate, particularly if you have received exceptional customer service. If you believe that a tip is appropriate we recommend an average tip of 10%-20% of your trip cost. You will have the opportunity to tip your guide directly at the conclusion of your trip. We always appreciate hearing from you so that we can recognize extraordinary customer service and we also appreciate hearing from you if you feel that there are areas that we can improve upon. We strive to exceed your expectations!
What is the weather generally like on the Upper Salt River?
Daytime highs in the Sonoran desert are typically mild with highs ranging from 65 to 90 degrees. Chances of rain or late season cold front necessitate planning for a full range of weather conditions. Wetsuits are available when you check-in if the weather is cool or the water levels are high.
I cannot swim. Can I still go rafting?
Many of our participants cannot swim. We provide U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices designed to float you face-up in whitewater. Personal flotation devices are required to be worn at all times.
Do I need to wear a helmet?
Helmets are required and provided on the Salt River.
Can I bring anything along with me on the raft?
Each raft is equipped with a waterproof bag for any small items that you may need during the day.
Should I bring a water bottle on my raft trip?
We do not carry drinking water on your raft and recommend you bring your own bottle. You can refill at lunch from our cooler. Water bottles can sit on the floor of the raft.
What kind of camping conditions should I expect?
All campsites are primitive-no plumbing or electricity. We provide a portable chemical toilet for use in camp. You may wash in the river.
What type of meals will I have during my trip?
We provide fresh hearty meals starting with lunch on the first day through lunch on the last day. Special diets can be accommodated upon request. Remember we provide only lemonade and water. If you would like to bring your own drinks in metal or plastic containers, please feel free. We will provide a place to carry them.
What do I do with any trash I may have?
Please keep in mind that on our trip we will carry out all of our trash and whatever other trash we may find as we travel down the river. We appreciate your assistance in keeping the river clean and beautiful.
Do you have a retail store?
We have a small selection of retail including last minute items such as sunscreen and lip balm. Plan to check out our t-shirts, hats and souvenirs after the trip.