What sets us apart…..
why choose wilderness aware?
Wilderness Aware Rafting has stayed true to its name since 1976, emphasizing outstanding outdoor experiences on seven of the most amazing rivers in the American West, including rivers in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. We offer an unparalleled customer experience that emphasizes safety and sharing our passion for the outdoors and the special places we visit. Five of the seven rivers we feature travel within designated wilderness areas.
Nestled in the heart of the Rockies near Buena Vista, Colorado, we enjoy the highest concentration of 14,000-foot peaks in the state, world-class whitewater rafting, kayaking, climbing, skiing, mountain biking, fishing, hiking, natural hot springs, and extensive off-road trails—all in our backyard. Our community is comprised of outdoor enthusiasts who share our excitement with visitors from all over the world in a small-town atmosphere.
Our river trips offer an opportunity for our guests to experience public lands in a way they may not ordinarily have the ability, skills, or motivation to experience themselves.
Our company culture emphasizes Leave No Trace ethics on our rivers, ensuring we minimize our impact on the natural environment and highlighting that our public lands are set aside to provide future generations a chance to have a similar experience.
Safety on the river is our highest priority, and Wilderness Aware has an outstanding record. We are the leader in providing multi-day rafting experiences in Colorado. We love the opportunity to share our experience and devotion to our craft!
Our office in Buena Vista, Colorado is a point of pride for us. It is one of the most important reasons we can provide you with high quality experience. Here are some of the amenities our facility provides:
- Sparkling clean restrooms and changing rooms
- Souvenir store with photos of YOU on the river
- Renewable Energy on our property
- Licensed food preparation facility
- Shaded meeting area and riverside picnic site
- A system for cleaning and sanitizing your rental gear after EACH use
- Free day-use of our shaded dog kennel
- Large parking area
Our whitewater rafting guides, office staff, drivers and managers are out to exceed your expectations each and every day. Our Management Team, including the owner, are involved in day to day operations to ensure that every person who rafts with us gets the best possible experience.
- Excellent safety record since the company was founded in 1976
- Guides are extensively trained professionals certified in first aid, CPR…and drug-tested!
- Friendly office staff trained to assist you in finding the perfect trip for you and your family
- Owners and management with decades of experience in the rafting industry.
We have this crazy passion for what we do, and when comes down to it, nothing makes us happier than sharing our passion with you. Without you, there is no way we could do our jobs day in and day out.
- Read TripAdvisor Reviews
- Check out Customer Comment Cards
- Read about the work we do with the Denver Rescue Mission
Our Mission Statement
Wilderness Aware Rafting is dedicated to creating cherished lifelong memories by providing outstanding experiences that exceed our guest’s expectations.
Our Guiding Principles
We support a fun yet professional staff that fosters respect and appreciation for Colorado and Arizona rivers.
Wilderness Aware operates on a sound economic foundation. We are committed to continuously improving our products and service to provide exceptional value for our guests while offering a variety of opportunities and financial rewards for our employees.
We hold deep appreciation for the unique personalities of our employees and guests. Diversity makes our company strong as each person contributes their strengths in a manner that creates a sense of community that encourages personal growth.
Above all else, we are committed to providing you with a safe, exciting trip that you will remember forever. We offer some of the best Colorado rafting trips and a wide variety of trip lengths and locations – we guarantee you’ll get the ideal trip!
- Operate on five rivers in Colorado – including the extremely popular and exciting Arkansas River
- Operate on Arizona’s Salt River – a hidden gem with exciting rapids and breathtaking scenery
- Self-contained multi-day trips that provide riverside meals you won’t find anywhere else!
- Frequently Asked Trip Questions!