Northgate Canyon Full Day Trip
Full Day Rafting Trip!
- 9:00 AM Departure
- Late May and June, water permitting
- 10 miles on the river
- Beginner/Intermediate Class II-IV rapids
- Ages 10 years and up*
- Deli-style lunch included
- Experienced guide on each raft
- Located near Walden, CO – between Steamboat Springs and Fort Collins
- Ask Us a Question!
- North Platte River Maps
About the Northgate Canyon Rafting Full Day Trip
We meet in a remote valley where the North Platte crosses the highway, miles from the nearest small town. The river immediately leaves the open valley and enters the canyon where steep and pine covered canyon walls rise 400 to 1000 feet. In the cool mountain morning, a heavy blanket of fog often comes off of the relatively warm river water and lends a somewhat primordial atmosphere to this wildlife haven. Federal designation as the “Northgate Wilderness Area” promotes healthy populations of deer, elk, bighorn sheep, beaver, and coyote. Often, we encounter eagles, ducks, and Canada Geese searching for food and raising their young along the banks.
The trip starts off mild, but before long we encounter many challenging rapids rated up to class IV on the international class scale of I through VI. Rapids include Windy Hole, Cowpie, Stovepipe, and Narrow Falls -alias OFR- (ask your guide what that stands for). Full Day trips include upper Northgate Canyon, while 2 Day Trips continue on through forested canyon wilderness, emerging late on the second day into the remote hill country of southern Wyoming.
Official ‘wilderness’ designation also guarantees that we will have a primitive wilderness experience. Only a few outfitters have permits to run this section of the river, taking a total of only about 1500 people through Northgate Canyon each year. Compare this to the busy Arkansas River where 250,000 people raft annually. We are indeed fortunate to have this national treasure in our own backyard.
- *Youth must be age 10 or older and weigh at least 60 lbs. Minimum age and weight are subject to increase due to high water.
- Group rates are available. Click here for details.
- Please arrive at least 1 hour prior to departure time.
- Price listed includes your lifejacket, helmet, guide, boat, transportation to and from the river and lunch. The prices listed do not include 9% land and water access fees, cold weather rentals or guide tip.
- Please visit our packing list page for a complete list of what to bring, where to meet and more!
Lydia filled us with confidence. She was skilled and knowledgeable and explained each set of rapids so we knew what to expect. She was great company and we had the best experience. She was brilliant.
I cannot wait to come back! Also loved how funny all the guides were. It was the most I’ve seen my sister laugh in a long time! Thank you so much for this amazing experience.
I spent several days researching various rafting options and after speaking w/your team was sold. We were not disappointed-the trip is spectacular and our guide Sean was informative, lively professional and entertaining.