Slick Rock Canyon 3 Day Trip
3 Day Rafting Trip!
- 9:00 AM Departure
- May and Early June, water permitting
- 50 miles on the river
- Mild Class II-III rapids
- Ages 10 years and up*
- Meals included, from lunch on day 1 through lunch on day 3
- Experienced guide on each raft
- Located near Cortez, CO – near Durango and the four corners region
- Ask Us a Question!
- Dolores River Maps
About the Dolores River 3 Day Slick Rock Canyon Trip
Slick Rock Canyon can be rafted as a stand-alone 3 Day trip or as the second half of a 6 Day trip combined with 3 Day Ponderosa Gorge. If you are looking for a mild water scenic desert wilderness trip, far from the crowds, this trip is for you!
A few miles after launching from Slick Rock, we enter the short and scenic “Little Glen Canyon”. The sandstone rock here is the same formation that is found in Glen Canyon, now flooded by Lake Powell. Exiting the canyon we enter the salt block formation that created the wide open spaces and breathtaking views of Big Gypsum Valley.
Below Gypsum Valley the river plunges into and divides a massive sheer rock wall over 1000 feet tall. The next 30 miles we are in the 29,000 acre Dolores River Canyon Wilderness Study Area. The river twists and turns through sandstone walls that reach skyward directly from the water’s edge. “Entrenched meanders” were created as the plateau tilted on edge, speeding the flow of the once sleepy river. In places these cliffs overhang the entire river.
You’ll camp on river beaches or sandy alluvial fans where the river passes a number of beautiful side canyons. We will explore several of these interesting serpentine grottos. Deer and bighorn sheep, are regularly spotted. We’ll also make several stops to admire Indian petroglyphs, carved into the sheer sandstone walls.
Our trip ends at an old west survivor, the Bedrock Store, where a scene from “Thelma and Louise” was filmed.
This trip has a strict maximum of 12 guests.
- *Youth must be age 10 or older and weigh at least 60 lbs. Minimum age and weight are subject to increase due to high water.
- Group rates are available. Click here for details.
- Please arrive at least 1 hour prior to departure time.
- Price listed includes your lifejacket, helmet, guide, boat, overnight bag, portable chemical toilet, transportation to and from the river and all meals from lunch on day 1 through lunch on day 3. The prices listed do not include 9% land and water access fees, cold weather rentals, camping rentals or guide tip.
- Please visit our packing list page for a complete list of what to bring, where to meet and more!
Lydia filled us with confidence. She was skilled and knowledgeable and explained each set of rapids so we knew what to expect. She was great company and we had the best experience. She was brilliant.
I cannot wait to come back! Also loved how funny all the guides were. It was the most I’ve seen my sister laugh in a long time! Thank you so much for this amazing experience.
I spent several days researching various rafting options and after speaking w/your team was sold. We were not disappointed-the trip is spectacular and our guide Sean was informative, lively professional and entertaining.