Get Ready for Your Trip!
the arkansas river bighorn sheep canyon
departure & return times
Please share with everyone in your group. If you have any questions or need additional information call us at 1.800.462.7238.
Please arrive 45 minutes before your trip departure time.
Trip: AM Half Day
Departs: 9:30 am
Returns: 12:00 am – 12:30 pm
Trip: Full Day
Departs: 9:30 am
Returns: 4:00 – 5:00 pm
Trip: PM Half Day
Departs: 1:30 pm (12:30 pm early & late season)
Returns: 4:00 – 5:00 pm
where to meet
Your trip departs from Echo Canyon River Expeditions. Echo Canyon is located on the north side of Highway 50 approximately 9 miles west of Cañon City. Parking, changing and restroom facilities are available at their office. Please note that this trip does not meet at the Wilderness Aware office in Buena Vista.
what to bring
What to Bring
- Do Not Wear Cotton on the River (no jeans or sweats)
Quick dry apparel is available in our retail store
- Swimming Suit and/or Shorts
- Sunglasses with Securing Strap
- Hat or Visor (can be worn under your helmet)
- Waterproof Sunscreen
- Tennis Shoes or Secure Sandals (no flip-flops or Crocs)
- Cash for Souvenirs and Tipping Your Guide
- Change of Clothes and Towel (for after the trip)
- Riverside Steak Lunch on all Full Day trips
- Professional Guide in Every Raft
- Rafting and Safety Equipment – Including a Helmet
- Shuttle Back to Your Car at the End of your Trip
High Water / Cool Weather Rentals
$20/day or $15/half-day
(Includes wetsuit, booties and splash jacket)
$10/day or $7/half-day
Wetsuit Booties Only
$7/day or $5/half-day
Splash Jacket Only
$7/day or $5/half-day
other important information
- River Maps
- Lodging Information
- Reservation/Cancellation Policies
- Liability Releases
- Q & A: Common Trip Questions
- Cancellation Policy: If your group or any person in your group cancels their trip up to 72 hours prior to departure date and time, you will receive a full refund. No cancellation fees. If you cancel within 72 hours prior to departure date and time, for any reason, you will not receive a refund. If necessary, you can reschedule your trip within 72 hours, but at least 1 hour, prior to departure time for a $10/rescheduling fee, subject to availability. Rescheduled reservations are non-refundable.
- Late Arrival Policy: It is your responsibility arrive for your trip on time – typically 30-60 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time. We will not wait for late arrivals. Please take into account travel time, weather, road construction, etc.
- Water Policy: We the right to move your group to a more appropriate section of river due to extreme high or low water conditions. We will give you as much notice as possible of conditions that may affect your scheduled trip. Note that if an alternate section of river is available to your group no refunds or credits are given.
- Weather Policy: Trips run rain or shine. We will not cancel or cut short trips due to rain and/or thunderstorm conditions (including lighting).
- Drugs and Alcohol: Drugs or alcohol are not to be consumed before or during the trip. This includes recreational marijuana. No refund will be given to those drinking alcohol or using drugs prior to the trip.
- Pregnancy: We do allow guests that are pregnant to participate in rafting.
Each person rafting will be required to sign a liability release form prior to trip departure. Each youth under the age of 18 years old will need a parent or guardian to co-sign their liability. Wilderness Aware and Echo Canyon have different liability waivers. A copy of the Echo Canyon waiver can be downloaded here.
Will I receive a safety orientation prior to my trip?
Prior to boarding your raft, your guide will cover a detailed safety orientation with everyone. Colorado Rivers Outfitters Association (CROA) created a comprehensive video that covers the same information in your safety orientation. Feel free to check out this video before your rafting adventure begins.
Will my trip change due to water levels?
The Arkansas River originates in the central mountains of Colorado, and the winter snows have a significant effect on seasonal water levels. As a result, we reserve the right to alter trip itineraries due to high water or low water to be sure you as our guest receive a quality raft trip that includes a similar level of whitewater excitement. Please feel free to contact our office if you have any questions or concerns about how seasonal water levels may affect your rafting reservation.
Is it appropriate to tip my guide?
Tipping is appropriate, particularly if you have received exceptional customer service. If you believe that a tip is appropriate we recommend an average tip of $10-$15/guest/day. You will have the opportunity to tip your guide directly at the conclusion of your trip. We always appreciate hearing from you so that we can recognize extraordinary customer service and we also appreciate hearing from you if you feel that there are areas that we can improve upon. We strive to exceed your expectations!
What happens if I arrive late for my trip?
To provide our guests with the best possible customer service, we launch our trips on time. We cannot wait for late guests. You must arrive for your trip 30-45 minutes prior to your departure time in order to get through our check in process and prepare for your trip. Please plan your time accordingly – allow enough travel time and include unexpected stops for road construction.
I cannot swim. Can I still go rafting?
Many of our participants cannot swim. We provide U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices designed to float you face-up in whitewater. Personal flotation devices are required to be worn at all times.
Do I need to wear a helmet?
Helmets are required and provided on the Arkansas River.
Can I bring anything along with me on the raft?
Each raft is equipped with a waterproof bag for any small items that you may need during the day.
Should I bring a water bottle on my raft trip?
We do not carry drinking water on your raft and recommend you bring your own bottle.
Will there be photos taken on my trip?
GoPro footage will be taken of each raft and will be available for purchase at the conclusion of your trip.
I am worried about the altitude. Will I be ok to raft?
You will be rafting at 5700 feet above sea level. Most people don’t have serious problems here, but shortness of breath and dehydration are possible. Come a day or two early to acclimatize yourself if you can. We recommend that you drink plenty of water during your stay.
Is there food available nearby?
Yes. Echo Canyon owns and operates the 8 Mile Restaurant, located adjacent to the rafting office. Great food and beverages are available for breakfast, lunch and dinner.