Arkansas River – Pine Creek White Water Rafting Description:
Extremely steep and technical, this section of the Arkansas River will challenge the most experienced boater. Continuous rapids with big drops and powerful hydraulics make this stretch an intensely epic adventure.
Recommended For: Kayakers and rafters with a lot of previous rafting experience who are in exceptional physical condition.
Recommended White Water Rafting Trips on Pine Creek – Arkansas River:
Pine Creek & The Numbers Full Day
Pine Creek, Numbers
timberlinetours.com or 1.800.831.1414
Arkansas River – Pine Creek White Water Rafting Details:
Difficulty: Class IV-V+ (What does this mean?)
Elevation: 8931′ to 8625′
Average Gradient: 58.8′ per mile
Access to Access
Granite to Clear Creek: 2.1 miles
Clear Creek to Numbers: 3.1 miles
Total Mileage: 5.2 miles
Notes: Pine Creek is typically under a high water advisory from late-May through late-June due to run-off and all commercial outfitters refrain from rafting this section at that time. Be watchful of the ledge hole at the bottom of the S-Turn.
GPS Coordinates to Pine Creek Access Points – Arkansas River:
- Granite Access: 39.042711,-106.266026
- Clear Creek Access: 39.022451,-106.242809
- Numbers Access: 38.976355,-106.214533
Cities Near the Pine Creek Section:
- Buena Vista, Granite, Leadville & Salida
Information for Arkansas River Self-Guided Boaters:
The Arkansas River is in the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA) and is managed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
- Boating Permit Required: NO
- Permit Details: On the off chance you do not use a developed AHRA Recreation Site, no fee of any kind is required to float the river.
Arkansas River – Pine Creek Access Details:
- Sites: Granite, Clear Creek and Numbers Recreation Sites
- Instructions: Follow signage at recreation sites.
- Fee: Annual or daily permits are required to use these sites. Those without passes will be ticketed.
- Where to Buy: Annual Permits can be purchased through AHRA in Salida or Colorado Parks and Wildlife Offices in Denver, but most people use the self-serve daily pay stations at AHRA managed access points.
- Contact: Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA)
307 W Sackett Street, Salida, CO 81201
719-539-7289 ~ www.parks.state.co.us/parks/arkansasheadwaters
We do not have information on any entity that offers shuttles on this section. We recommend traveling with at least two vehicles in order to run your own shuttle.