Colorado Horseback Trail Rides
Colorado Horseback trail Ride!
- Most rides available year-round
- Ask Us a Question!
30 Minute Pony Ride: $25/person
1 Hour Ride: $70/person
2 Hour Adventure Ride: $100/person
2 Hour Sunset Ride: $110/person
3/4 Day Waterfall Ride: $185/person
Full Day Ride: $275/person
About Colorado Horseback Trail Rides in Buena Vista, Colorado
Colorado’s second most popular outdoor activity is horseback riding. The closest horseback rides are located near the Arkansas River. Our shorter rides follow a cottonwood lined creek with views of the valley’s signature 14,197 foot peak, Mt. Princeton. The Chalk Cliffs flank the peak with sheer, craggy and impossibly white stone, unique to Colorado. Longer horseback rides climb the edge of adjacent 14.269 foot Mt. Antero. Most horseback rides are available year-round.
This trip meets in Nathrop, Colorado, just south of Buena Vista and north of Salida. Click Here for a map and directions.
30 Minute Pony Ride
For those too young for the trail ride, we offer pony rides around our stable. A guide/adult will lead the child for a safe riding experience. Minimum of 1 person per trip.
- Ages 1 to 5 only
- Mid May to Labor Day -> Every hour from 9am to 4pm
- Labor Day to Mid May -> 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm
1 Hour Ride
Our one hour ride is great for all riding abilities. This ride takes you out behind our stables along a short trail that winds down to Chalk Creek and back again. Great views of Mount Princeton and the Chalk Cliffs. Minimum of 2 people per trip.
- Adults & Youth Ages 5+
- Mid May to Labor Day -> 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 5pm
- Labor Day to Mid May -> 10am, 12pm, 2pm
2 Hour Ride – Adventure
For those who want to see a little more of beautiful Colorado. This ride follows a portion of Chalk Creek. On this ride you will cross Chalk Creek and ride along a potion of the old narrow gauge railroad bed that went to St. Elmo around the turn of the century. The spectacular Collegiate Peaks are in view on this ride. We ride down to and cross Chalk Creek while enjoying breathtaking views of Harvard, Yale, and the base of Mt. Antero. Minimum of 2 people per trip.
- Adults & Youth Ages 8+
- Mid May to Labor Day -> 8:30am, 11am, 1:30pm, 4pm
- Labor Day to Mid May -> 11am, 1:30pm
2 Hour Sunset Ride
See why Colorado is noted for its breathtaking sunsets. Take our 2 hour ride at sunset for a memory that will last forever. Minimum of 2 people per trip.
- Adults & Youth Ages 5+
- Departure times are 4pm, 5pm or 6pm depending on date.
- Not available between Early November and Early March. Choose the regular 2 hour ride during this time.
3/4 Day Waterfall Ride
Beginning at the Browns Creek Trailhead, you’ll take a gorgeous two hour ride along the bubbling and churning Brown’s Creek. You’ll stop to relax and enjoy lunch (included) at a spectacular multi-drop waterfall worthy of many, many photos! Turn around and enjoy the two hour ride back to the trailhead with fantastic views of Mount Princeton, Mount Antero and the Arkansas River Valley. Minimum of 2 people per trip.
- Adults & Youth Ages 7+
- Mid May to September 30 -> 9am, 1pm
- October 1 to Early November & Early March to Mid May -> 11am
- Not available between Early November and Early March.
Full Day Ride
Our full day horseback rides offer unparalleled in beauty and scenery! Choose between two different rides: Browns Creek Trail, where you will ride along a bubbling creek, stop at a spectacular waterfall before riding all the way up to Browns Lake. Or choose to ride from our stables along the Colorado Trail to North Fork Trailhead. Lunch included. Minimum of 4 people per trip.
- Adults & Youth Ages 12+
- Late May to September 30 -> 9am
- Not available between October 1 and Late May.
- Weight restrictions vary by trip. Please notify us of any person weighing more than 250 lbs.
- Please arrive at 15-20 minutes prior to departure time.
- Price listed includes your horse, guide, and lunch on 3/4 day and full day trips only. The prices listed do not include 9% land and water access fees or guide tip.
- Please visit our packing list page for a complete list of what to bring, where to meet and more!
Horseback rides are hosted by Arkansas Valley Trail Rides / Mt. Princeton Riding Stables. Ralph and April Ogden.
Lydia filled us with confidence. She was skilled and knowledgeable and explained each set of rapids so we knew what to expect. She was great company and we had the best experience. She was brilliant.
I cannot wait to come back! Also loved how funny all the guides were. It was the most I’ve seen my sister laugh in a long time! Thank you so much for this amazing experience.
I spent several days researching various rafting options and after speaking w/your team was sold. We were not disappointed-the trip is spectacular and our guide Sean was informative, lively professional and entertaining.