Featured Recipe: Decadent Dark Chocolate Energy Bars
We do our best to keep you from getting hungry with our complimentary continental breakfast, lunches on full day trips, and multi-course meals on overnights, but from time to time, you might get a little hungry.
Here’s a snack that’s easy to tuck into your PFD and will keep you energized and sustained in between meals:
Decadent Dark Chocolate Energy Bars
– 1½ cups quick oats
– ¼ tsp sea salt
– 2 cups dried fruits *
– ⅔ cup peanut butter **
– ¼ cup chia seeds
– ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
– ½ cup agave or honey
1. Line 13”x9” pan with parchment or wax paper and set aside
2. Combine oats, sea salt, dried fruits, and chia seeds in a large bowl
3. Stir in your peanut butter and agave syrup or honey; mixing until a sticky dough forms
4. Transfer to the prepared pan and press mixture into pan, distributing and spreading evenly.
5. Cover pan with another sheet of parchment or wax paper and freeze for at least one hour to set, then cut into twelve even rectangle-shaped bars using a sharp knife.
Energy bars can be stored at room temperature or in the fridge for several days, or frozen for up to a month.
* Get creative here! Natural Foods stores, like the Lettuce Head in Buena Vista feature a variety of dried fruits. My favorite is a blend of blueberries, cranberries, and goji berries!
** Can be substituted with sunbutter or almond butter if allergic. Microwave your nut butter for 30 seconds if it is too difficult to stir from refrigeration.