Upper Colorado River – South Canyon White Water Rafting Description:
The South Canyon of the Colorado River is a mild and bouncy class II section, which includes the Glenwood Whitewater Park. This is a fun little stretch that makes nice addition to the upriver sections.
Recommended Trips on South Canyon – Upper Colorado River:
At this time, we do not have information on outfitters that offer commercial trips on this section.
Upper Colorado River – South Canyon Whitewater Rafting Details:
Difficulty: Class II-III (What does this mean?)
Elevation: 5712′ to 5539′
Average Gradient: 12.8′ per mile
Access to Access
Two Rivers Park to South Canyon: 5.0 miles
South Canyon to New Castle #1: 5.0 miles
New Castle #1 to New Castle #2: 3.5 miles
Total Mileage: 13.5 miles
GPS Coordinates to South Canyon Access Points – Upper Colorado River:
- Two Rivers Park Access: 39.552265,-107.334543
- South Canyon Access: 39.564222,-107.412343
- New Castle #1 Access: 39.572385,-107.478025
- New Castle #2 Access: 39.567728,-107.524899
Cities Near the Dotsero Section:
- Glenwood Springs, New Castle & Silt
Information for Upper Colorado River Self-Guided Boaters:
The Upper Colorado River (Lower Gore, Dotsero and South Canyon) are managed by the Bureau of Land Management out of Silt, CO.
- Boating Permit Required: NO
- Permit Details: No fee of any kind is required to float the river, but you do need to buy a pass to use the BLM managed and private access sites.
- River Manager: U.S Bureau of Land Management – Colorado River Valley Field Office
2300 River Frontage Road, Silt, CO 81652
970.876.9000 ~ www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/crvfo.html
Please contact the river manager (above) for information on shuttles.