Gunnison River – Lower Gunnison River White Water Rafting Description:
Easygoing section of the Gunnison River that floats through meadows and ranches between the more popular sections of the Gunnison Gorge and Dominguez-Escalante Canyon. This section does provide a great trip for young kids and fisherman.
Recommended Trips on the Lower Gunnison River:
Half & Full Day
Portion of Lower Gunnison
Gunnison River Expeditions
Gunnison River – Lower Gunnison River Whitewater Rafting Details:
Difficulty: Class I-II (What does this mean?)
Elevation: 5092′ to 4826′
Average Gradient: 9.5′ per mile
Access to Access
Gunnison Forks to Austin: 7.0 miles
Austin to Delta: 7.0 miles
Delta to Escalante Canyon Rd: 14.0 miles
Total Mileage: 28.0 miles
GPS Coordinates to Lower Gunnison River Access Points – Gunnison River:
- Gunnison Forks Access: 38.784733,-107.836626
- Austin Access: 38.780417,-107.947723
- Delta Access: 38.752979,-108.078797
- Escalante Canyon Rd Access: 38.75807,-108.257614
Cities Near the Lower Gunnison River Section:
- Delta, Montrose & Grand Junction
Information for Gunnison River Self-Guided Boaters:
The Gunnison River (Gunnison Gorge, Lower Gunnison and Dominguez-Escalante Canyon) are managed by the Bureau of Land Management out of Montrose, CO.
- Boating Permit Required: NO
- Permit Details: No fee of any kind is required to float the river, but you do need to buy a pass to use the BLM managed and private access sites.
- River Manager:U.S Bureau of Land Management – Uncompahgre Field Office
2465 S. Townsend Ave, Montrose, CO 81401
970.240.5300 ~ www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ufo.html
Please contact the river manager (above) for information on shuttles.