Gunnison River – Dominguez-Escalante Canyon White Water Rafting Description:
A relatively isolated and mild section of the Gunnison River, Dominguez-Escalante Canyon offers boaters a scenic section of gentle flowing river, side hikes to waterfalls and petroglyphs and camping under the stars.
Recommended Trips on Dominguez-Escalante Canyon – Gunnison River:
Dominguez to Escalante Canyon
Gunnison River Expeditions
Gunnison River – Dominguez-Escalante Canyon Whitewater Rafting Details:
Difficulty: Class I-II (What does this mean?)
Elevation: 4826′ to 4642′
Average Gradient: 7.1′ per mile
Access to Access
Escalante Canyon Rd to Bridgeport Road: 13.0 miles
Bridgeport Road to Whitewater: 13.0 miles
Total Mileage: 26.0 miles
GPS Coordinates to Dominguez-Escalante Canyon Access Points – Gunnison River:
- Escalante Canyon Rd Access: 38.75807,-108.257614
- Bridgeport Rd Access: 38.849384,-108.372391
- Whitewater Access: 38.983761,-108.45134
Cities Near the Dominguez-Escalante Canyon Section:
- Delta, Montrose & Grand Junction
Information for Gunnison River Self-Guided Boaters:
The Gunnison River (Gunnison Gorge, Lower Gunnison and Dominguez-Escalante Canyon) are managed by the Bureau of Land Management out of Montrose, CO.
- Boating Permit Required: NO
- Permit Details: No fee of any kind is required to float the river, but you do need to buy a pass to use the BLM managed and private access sites.
- River Manager: U.S Bureau of Land Management – Uncompahgre Field Office
2465 S. Townsend Ave, Montrose, CO 81401
970.240.5300 ~ www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ufo.html
Please contact the river manager (above) for information on shuttles.