Arkansas River – Swallows White Water Rafting Description:
The Arkansas River below Canon City offers mild rapids and calm flatwater sections, making it suitable for all. While the upper portion of this stretch, near Canon City is visited frequently due to its proximity to the city and its accessibility, the lower section provides a great opportunity to escape the crowds and relax among the Cottonwood-lined banks and wildlife of Swallows Canyon.
Recommended For: Self-guided float trips; families with young children.
Recommended Rafting Trips on Swallows – Arkansas River:
At this time we do not have information on outfitters that offer Swallows as a commercial whitewater rafting trip.
Arkansas River – Swallows White Water Rafting Details:
Difficulty: Class I-II (What does this mean?)
Elevation: 5321′ to 4823′
Average Gradient: 14.7′ per mile
Access to Access
River Station to Raynolds: 2.3 miles
Raynolds to Pathfinder Park: 1.5 miles
Pathfinder Park to Florence River Park: 7.5 miles
Florence River Park to Blue Heron: 0.5 miles
Blue Heron to Pueblo SWA: 13.5 miles
Pueblo SWA to Lake Pueblo State Park: 7.5 miles
Total Mileage: 32.8 miles
Notes: Multiple access points allow for self-guided boaters to customize their trip length.
There are multiple damns and diversions through this section. PLEASE contact the river manager for specific details on these dams and the best way to run the river through this section.
GPS Coordinates to Swallows Access Points – Arkansas River:
- River Station Access: 38.437464,-105.241245/li>
- Raynolds Access: 38.43772,-105.205861
- Pathfinder Park Access: 38.405417,-105.145329
- Florence River Park Access: 38.391047,-105.067293
- Blue Heron Access: 38.391047,-105.067293
- Pueblo SWA Access: 38.315278, -104.890278
- Lake Pueblo Access: 38.28848,-104.803787
Cities Near the Swallows Section:
- Cañon City, Florence & Pueblo
Information for Arkansas River Self-Guided Boaters:
The Arkansas River is in the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA) and is managed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
- Boating Permit Required: NO
- Permit Details: On the off chance you do not use a developed AHRA Recreation Site, no fee of any kind is required to float the river.
Arkansas River – Swallows Access Details:
At this time we do not have information on any entity that offers shuttles on this section. We recommend traveling with at least two vehicles in order to run your own shuttle.