Arkansas River – Hayden Meadows White Water Rafting Description:
Near its headwaters, the Arkansas River flows mildly through a broad glacial-born valley. This shallow meadow stream section of the Arkansas River passes several ranches that have been held privately since the homesteading days. Only recently opened to the public, this section is navigable, but seldom boated.
Recommended For: Float fishing trips.
Recommended White Water Rafting Trips on Hayden Meadows – Arkansas River:
At this time we do not have information on outfitters that offer Hayden Meadows as a commercial whitewater rafting trip.
Arkansas River – Hayden Meadows White Water Rafting Details:
Difficulty: Class I-II (What does this mean?)
Elevation: 9285′ to 8931′
Average Gradient: 33.7′ per mile
Access to Access
Hayden Meadows to Kobe: 3.8 miles
Kobe to Granite: 6.7 miles
Total Mileage: 10.5 miles
Notes: There is a lot of private land here with shallow gravel bars. Be careful.
GPS Coordinates to Hayden Meadows Access Points – Arkansas River:
- Hayden Meadows Access: 39.163056, -106.322778
- Kobe Access: 39.128333, -106.310833
- Granite Access: 39.042711,-106.266026
Cities Near the Hayden Meadows Section:
- Buena Vista, Granite, Leadville & Salida
Information for Arkansas River Self-Guided Boaters:
The Arkansas River is in the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA) and is managed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
- Boating Permit Required: NO
- Permit Details: On the off chance you do not use a developed AHRA Recreation Site, no fee of any kind is required to float the river.
Arkansas River – Hayden Meadows Access Details:
- Sites: Hayden Meadows, Kobe and Granite Recreation Sites
- Instructions: Follow signage at recreation sites.
- Fee: Annual or daily permits are required to use these sites. Those without passes will be ticketed.
- Where to Buy: Annual Permits can be purchased through AHRA in Salida or Colorado Parks and Wildlife Offices in Denver, but most people use the self-serve daily pay stations at AHRA managed access points.
- Contact: Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA)
307 W Sackett Street, Salida, CO 81201
719-539-7289 ~ www.parks.state.co.us/parks/arkansasheadwaters
We do not have information on any entity that offers shuttles on this section. We recommend traveling with at least two vehicles in order to run your own shuttle.