Longest Trip in the West Outside of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado
Adults: $1689 Youth: $1435.65
- 9:00 AM Departure
- May and Early June, water permitting
- 168 miles on the river
- Beginner/Intermediate, Class II-IV rapids
- Ages 10 years and up*
- Experienced guide on each raft
- Meals included, from lunch on day 1 through lunch on day 10
- Located near Cortez, Colorado near Durango and four corners region
Emerging from Slickrock Canyon the river enters Paradox Valley, an interesting geologic phenomenon where the river cuts across the valley rather than through the middle of it! This valley was extensively occupied by Pueblo Indian culture and was also famous in western history as a route through which rustlers traversed to sell stolen stock in the mining camps. In the spring, nesting waterfowl abound in the natural but unprotected refuge.
From here the river cuts through Paradox and Mesa Canyons where one can view remnants of an almost unbelievable “hanging flume”. Near the town of Gateway the river plunges into Gateway Canyon where some of the most difficult rapids of the entire river are encountered. Some 30 miles below Gateway, Colorado, the Dolores River unites with the Colorado River.
You can combine Ponderosa Gorge, Slickrock, and Gateway Canyons to create one of the longest raft trips in the West. Day after day you will share the river with mergansers and great blue herons, exploring the desert from a unique vantage point. Exciting whitewater, fascinating geology, Indian ruins, interesting side creeks, and stunning sunsets will fill your days on this adventure of a lifetime. This trip is great for people that can’t afford the time or expense of a Grand Canyon of the Colorado raft trip, or people just looking to truly escape the pressures of modern life.
- *Youth price is valid for those 10-16 years old. Youth must weigh at least 60 lbs. Minimum age and weight are subject to increase due to high water.
- Group rates are available for groups of 10 or more.
- Please arrive at least 1 hour prior to departure time.
- Price listed includes your lifejacket, helmet, guide, boat, overnight bag, potable chemical toilet, transportation to and from the river and all meals from lunch on day 1 through lunch on day 10. The prices listed do not include 9% land and water access fees, cold weather rentals, camping rentals or guide tip.
Map & Directions to Cortez, Colorado
Our Dolores River trips meet at the Cozy Inn in Cortez, Colorado. The Cozy Inn is located in the southwest part of the town of Cortez, about 46 miles west of Durango, Colorado.
- Packing List and Pre-Trip Information: a complete list of what to bring, what we provide, rental costs and directions.
- Liability Release: required for each rafter. Please feel free to complete this form prior to arrival. Each person under 18 years of age requires a parent/guardian to co-sign.
- Dolores River Description: information about the Dolores River, including a complete list of all trips we offer.
- Itinerary: read our sample itinerary.
- Gallery: look through photos of the Dolores River, our other rivers, staff, wildlife and more.
- River Map: check out our detailed river maps including rapids and other features.
- FAQ’s: Take a look through our most frequently asked questions and answers.