Learn about our trips:
Only twice named Company of the Year? Why not every year! No competition!
Friendliest guide I’ve rafted with!
One of the best times of my life.
Best time I’ve had on the river in the past 15 years!!!! Will return soon!!!
Roses are red, violets are blue, I had fun rafting with you.
Thanks for the great time on the river. You do a super job of taking care of your crews.
Our guide was four star. I was so pleased. I’m a teacher of young surgeons and I grade tough.
Just wanted to drop a quick note expressing our gratitude for a magnificent time on the river this past Tuesday. We couldn’t have asked for more. Cheers!!!
Nice company- classier than others. Seemed safer than others. Nice building- clean, good amenities.
I appreciated how the guide was very concerned for our comfort and well being as well as the safety of the other rafts.
Wilderness Aware’s White Water Guides & Managers
We Are Proud to Deliver the Best Whitewater Rafting Trips in the World!
Wilderness Aware takes a tremendous amount of pride in the unique individuals we hire to become part of our company. Here is a look at the people that make up our white water rafting family.
Meet Our Owners and Managers:
- The Greiner Family – Owners – Joe and Sue Greiner purchased Wilderness Aware in 1985. Joe got his start in the outdoors in Boy Scouts and is an Eagle Scout. His degree is in Environmental Interpretation. Joe and Sue have two sons, Benjamin and Ethan.
- Jody Werner – Information Systems – Jody began working for Wilderness Aware in 1986. Since then she has worked as a shuttle driver, Office Manager and finally as the Information Systems Manager. Jody moved to Buena Vista in 1978, married her husband Pete and had two sons, RJ and Nathan.
- Jack Gunckle – Operations Manager – Jack came to WA through CMC where he was an Outdoor Recreation Leadership major. It was then that he decided to spend the rest of his life on the river. So far so good! Jack began his current position of Operation Manager in 2008. He married wife Jamie in 2010.
- Lillian Simpson – Digital Marketing – Lillian started working for Wilderness Aware in 2001. She worked in the office before moving into the Office Manger position in 2006, and into the Digital Marketing and Design position in 2010. Lillian has a degree in art and education from Fort Lewis in Durango, CO, is married to husband Craig and has one son, Chase.
- Justin Miller – Head Boatman – Justin was hired by Wilderness Aware in 2005. He has been part of the guide staff during the summer months, has worked as a guide on Wilderness Awares guide interview trips and is taking over the head boatman postion in 2010.
- Katie Schmitt – Office Manager – Katie starting working for Wilderness Aware in the summer of 2006. She has working as an office reservationist during the summer before moving into the Office Manger position in 2009. She graduated from Colorado State University in 2010.
- Natalie Keim – Assistant Office Manager – Natalie came to work for Wilderness Aware in 2008. During the summers, she worked for WA as an office reservationist and moved into the Asst. Office Manger position in 2010. During the winter she lives in Idaho.
- Brad Kingman – Salt River Manager – Brad was hired by Wilderness Aware in 2006. Since then he has worked from WA as a guide both in Colorado and Arizona. His experience on the Salt River in both 2008 and 2009 earned him a spot as the Salt River Manger in 2010.